Friday 23 November 2007

This weekend



The first part of the of the weekend was devoted to moving my stuff from my family's house to the hostal. Thankfully Cesar helped with this. Before we left I went out to the local market to buy Elizabeth a plant. After finding a great palm that I liked and agreeing a price, I then went to a plant pot stall and bought a large earthenware pot. On presenting this to the lady at the plant stall she asked for 2 soles to buy some dirt and returned with enough to pot the plant. It turned out to be a great looking house plant for only 36 soles or £6. I felt a bit cheap but it would easily have cost £40 in the UK and I had taken some trouble to select something nice.

After this my family took me to a typical restaurant out of town where I had trout. All of the cooking was on a wood fire outside and it was fantastic meal and a nice way to say goodbye.

I settled into my hostal and then hired a bike for a ride the next day. I headed off for Pisac on Sunday stopping at the Llama/Alpaca/weaving centre where I saw some very high quality but expensive weaving. It was a tough climb out of Cuzco. I also stopped at some Inca ruins at Huacacancha. Eventually I was rewarded with a fantastic descent into the Sacred valley – it seemed to go on for ever with the most magnificent views.

After Pisac I spent the rest of the day riding fast and flat along the valley following the river through Calca to Urabamba, probably around 50 miles in all. Then I found a bus and stowed the bike on top and returned to Cuzco where I spent my first night in the Hostal and prepared myself mentally for the first day of school on Monday.


No comments: